Skip to main content

Kosa by John Durgin Book Review

 

Title: Kosa

Author: John Durgin

Genre: Horror

Published: May 17, 2024 by DarkLit Press

I received a copy for review through NetGalley.

Kosa has never left her home in the isolated woods under the strict control of her mother. As she gets older Kosa starts to suspect that mother isn't always right. Kosa has a gift that keeps her mother alive. Mother is a witch that will do anything to keep her power including hurt others. 

Kosa is a great main character. She is a great light to offset the extreme darkness that is her mother. This is a loose retelling of Rapunzel, but super dark and twisted. This  is a wicked witch story with an antagonist that is cruel beyond belief. 

With the dark nature of some of the content I feel like I need to include a few content warnings such as death of child, child abuse, and cannibalism. I would highly recommend this novel to those that can handle the subject matter.

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Bunny and Other Mischiefs by Rebecca Gransden Book Review

  Title: Happy Bunny and Other Mischiefs Author: Rebecca Gransden Genre: Weird Fiction/ Horror Published: 10/30/24 by the author I received a copy for review from the author.  This collection of 14 short stories that are full of imaginative scenarios. The ideas are truly unique which helps to draw you in.  Imagine taking a friend's pigeon to the vet leads to an underground cult. Imagine a sentient turducken escaping its packaging to explore the world. These are just of a couple of the outrageously weird concepts explored in this collection. A couple of the stories are written a very fever dream kind of way that makes following the plot difficult. I don't fault the experimental writing, but I personally do not enjoy the confusion they left me feeling. The rest of the stories I enjoyed. The standout stories for me were SparrowEyes, with its creepy setting and creature, and Happy Bunny, with a person in a bunny costume getting teleported to various television and movie s...

Screams from the Void Book Review

  Title: Screams from the Void Author: Anne Tibbets Genre: Science Fiction/Horror Published: May 18,2021 by Flame Tree Press I received a copy for review from Flame Tree Press through NetGalley. My Thoughts: Raina is an Ensign Mechanic on the Demeter Spaceship for the United Space Corp in the year 2231. The Demeter's crew is picking up plant samples from many different planets when they discover an unknown biological creature is on board the ship. A creature is loose and is killing off the crew, but the creature is not the only monster on board. Raina must also deal with her abusive boyfriend as well.  I really enjoyed the setting of a small enclosed ship for creating a trapped claustrophobic backdrop for the horror to unfold. I also enjoyed the organization of the story. This story was told with alternating chapters where half the story is telling the story of finding out more about the creature, where it came from, its strengths and weaknesses, and how they can possible esca...

The House of Dust by Noah Broyles

  Title: The House of Dust Author: Noah Broyles Genre: Southern Gothic/Folk Horror Published: Inkshares Oct. 5, 2021     I received a copy from NetGalley for review. Thank you to Inkshares, NetGalley, and the author.     A writer for Southern Gothic magazine travels the American South writing articles about the small towns he encounters. His latest town Three Summers, Tennessee may be hiding much more sinister secrets than the average. He uncovers a very strange past that all centers around the people that have lived in The House of Dust over the years.     This story follows multiple perspectives over several different timelines of people who have lived in this old worn down plantation house. These timelines could be hard to follow at times, but became more clear and distinct as the story went on. As a story that covers a century of residents this was not a fast read. At nearly 450 pages it is quite a time investment, but it is an inves...