Skip to main content

 

Title: The Hidden

Author: Melanie Golding

Genre: Folk Thriller

Published: November 9, 2021 by Crooked Lane Books

What It's About: One dark December night, in a small seaside town, a little girl is found abandoned. When her mother arrives twenty frantic minutes later, authorities release the pair, believing it to be an innocent accident of a toddler running off.

But when a man is found beaten and left for dead in his apartment and a bedroom is discovered to contain a padlock and--most worryingly of all--children's toys, DS Joanna Harper begins to suspect the little girl on the seafront was not who her mother claimed. Worse, when CCTV footage reveals an image of the pair, Harper realizes she knows the woman almost as well as she knows herself: it's her estranged daughter, Ruby.

Desperate to reach Ruby before the police find her, Harper knows her deception might just cost her everything. But if it means choosing between her daughter or her career, Harper knows there's no question. She'll protect her daughter no matter what. But what Harper doesn't know is that someone--or something--else is searching for Ruby and the little girl, too. Waiting to bring them home . . . once and for all.

Steeped in local legend and exploring the depths of what it means to be a mother, Melanie Golding's newest novel asks how far we'll go to save the ones we love Goodreads

 My Thoughts: In 2019 I read Little Darlings and loved it. So I was really excited to see that Melanie Golding had a new book coming out. I am happy to say that The Hidden is another fantastically original thriller. The aughor has a great way of combining really interesting psychological thrillers with European folklore. At first I thought I had the whole story figured out, and thought that the story lacked mystery. I could not have been more wrong. This story had surprises around every bend at a certain point. Then it was a exciting roller coaster ride to the end. 

    This book is perfect for those that love thrillers and police procedural stories that are steeped in myths and legends. I highly recommend this book. Especially if you are looking for a unique take on a psychological thriller genre.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Bunny and Other Mischiefs by Rebecca Gransden Book Review

  Title: Happy Bunny and Other Mischiefs Author: Rebecca Gransden Genre: Weird Fiction/ Horror Published: 10/30/24 by the author I received a copy for review from the author.  This collection of 14 short stories that are full of imaginative scenarios. The ideas are truly unique which helps to draw you in.  Imagine taking a friend's pigeon to the vet leads to an underground cult. Imagine a sentient turducken escaping its packaging to explore the world. These are just of a couple of the outrageously weird concepts explored in this collection. A couple of the stories are written a very fever dream kind of way that makes following the plot difficult. I don't fault the experimental writing, but I personally do not enjoy the confusion they left me feeling. The rest of the stories I enjoyed. The standout stories for me were SparrowEyes, with its creepy setting and creature, and Happy Bunny, with a person in a bunny costume getting teleported to various television and movie s...

Screams from the Void Book Review

  Title: Screams from the Void Author: Anne Tibbets Genre: Science Fiction/Horror Published: May 18,2021 by Flame Tree Press I received a copy for review from Flame Tree Press through NetGalley. My Thoughts: Raina is an Ensign Mechanic on the Demeter Spaceship for the United Space Corp in the year 2231. The Demeter's crew is picking up plant samples from many different planets when they discover an unknown biological creature is on board the ship. A creature is loose and is killing off the crew, but the creature is not the only monster on board. Raina must also deal with her abusive boyfriend as well.  I really enjoyed the setting of a small enclosed ship for creating a trapped claustrophobic backdrop for the horror to unfold. I also enjoyed the organization of the story. This story was told with alternating chapters where half the story is telling the story of finding out more about the creature, where it came from, its strengths and weaknesses, and how they can possible esca...

The House of Dust by Noah Broyles

  Title: The House of Dust Author: Noah Broyles Genre: Southern Gothic/Folk Horror Published: Inkshares Oct. 5, 2021     I received a copy from NetGalley for review. Thank you to Inkshares, NetGalley, and the author.     A writer for Southern Gothic magazine travels the American South writing articles about the small towns he encounters. His latest town Three Summers, Tennessee may be hiding much more sinister secrets than the average. He uncovers a very strange past that all centers around the people that have lived in The House of Dust over the years.     This story follows multiple perspectives over several different timelines of people who have lived in this old worn down plantation house. These timelines could be hard to follow at times, but became more clear and distinct as the story went on. As a story that covers a century of residents this was not a fast read. At nearly 450 pages it is quite a time investment, but it is an inves...