Skip to main content

I was a Teenage Ghost Hunter by Brian K. Henry

Title: I Was a Teenage Ghost Hunter
Author: Brian K. Henry
Genre: YA Horror, Ghost Story
Published: Self-published on Smashwords 2014

I Was a Teenage Ghost Hunter is a quirky self-published YA ghost story.  This novel follows Devin, a sixteen-year-old boy, as he navigates a job he hates, friends, and the fact that he can see ghosts. His friends convince him to investigate a creepy mansion while his dad is out of town, and strange encounters occur with the former owner.

My Thoughts

Thank you to the author for the copy for review.

I Was a Teenage Ghost Hunter is light entertaining horror read perfect for teen readers. This novel seemed decently polished for a self-published work.

Devin and his friends were interesting and well developed characters that were fun to read about. One character that I wish was more fleshed out would be the father. Devin's father was out of town for work the whole week this story takes pace. I thought that was a bit convenient, and I would have enjoyed to see more of the family dynamic within the story.

There were some genuinely creepy scenes in this book that I really enjoyed, but nothing to bad to scare off a younger reader. There were also some silly aspects to the haunting and with the friends. The mix of spooky and funny made a very light entertaining read which is pretty rare when it comes to horror novels. I would recommend this book for teenage readers as well as adult readers that enjoy a good YA ghost story.

My Rating: 3.5 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Bunny and Other Mischiefs by Rebecca Gransden Book Review

  Title: Happy Bunny and Other Mischiefs Author: Rebecca Gransden Genre: Weird Fiction/ Horror Published: 10/30/24 by the author I received a copy for review from the author.  This collection of 14 short stories that are full of imaginative scenarios. The ideas are truly unique which helps to draw you in.  Imagine taking a friend's pigeon to the vet leads to an underground cult. Imagine a sentient turducken escaping its packaging to explore the world. These are just of a couple of the outrageously weird concepts explored in this collection. A couple of the stories are written a very fever dream kind of way that makes following the plot difficult. I don't fault the experimental writing, but I personally do not enjoy the confusion they left me feeling. The rest of the stories I enjoyed. The standout stories for me were SparrowEyes, with its creepy setting and creature, and Happy Bunny, with a person in a bunny costume getting teleported to various television and movie s...

Screams from the Void Book Review

  Title: Screams from the Void Author: Anne Tibbets Genre: Science Fiction/Horror Published: May 18,2021 by Flame Tree Press I received a copy for review from Flame Tree Press through NetGalley. My Thoughts: Raina is an Ensign Mechanic on the Demeter Spaceship for the United Space Corp in the year 2231. The Demeter's crew is picking up plant samples from many different planets when they discover an unknown biological creature is on board the ship. A creature is loose and is killing off the crew, but the creature is not the only monster on board. Raina must also deal with her abusive boyfriend as well.  I really enjoyed the setting of a small enclosed ship for creating a trapped claustrophobic backdrop for the horror to unfold. I also enjoyed the organization of the story. This story was told with alternating chapters where half the story is telling the story of finding out more about the creature, where it came from, its strengths and weaknesses, and how they can possible esca...

The House of Dust by Noah Broyles

  Title: The House of Dust Author: Noah Broyles Genre: Southern Gothic/Folk Horror Published: Inkshares Oct. 5, 2021     I received a copy from NetGalley for review. Thank you to Inkshares, NetGalley, and the author.     A writer for Southern Gothic magazine travels the American South writing articles about the small towns he encounters. His latest town Three Summers, Tennessee may be hiding much more sinister secrets than the average. He uncovers a very strange past that all centers around the people that have lived in The House of Dust over the years.     This story follows multiple perspectives over several different timelines of people who have lived in this old worn down plantation house. These timelines could be hard to follow at times, but became more clear and distinct as the story went on. As a story that covers a century of residents this was not a fast read. At nearly 450 pages it is quite a time investment, but it is an inves...