Skip to main content

The Wolf in the Whale by Jordanna Max Brodsky

Title: The Wolf in the Whale
Author: Jordanna Max Brodsky
Genre: Historical Fiction
Published: January 29, 2019 by Redhook

A young Inuit shaman's epic quest for survival in the frozen lands of North America in 1000 AD.

Born with the soul of a hunter and the language of the gods, Omat is destined to become a shaman like her grandfather. To protect her people, she invokes the spirits of the sky, the sea, and the air.

But the gods have stopped listening, the seals won't come, and Omat's family is starving.

Desperate to save them, Omat journeys through the icy wastes, fighting for survival with every step. When she meets a Viking warrior and his strange new gods, together they set in motion a conflict that could shatter her world...or save it.

The Wolf in the Whale is a powerful tale of magic, discovery and adventure, featuring an unforgettable narrator ready to confront the gods themselves. Goodreads

My Thoughts

I received a copy from Redhook through NetGalley for review.

The Wolf in the Whale is a wonderful historical fiction with an amazing main character with a lot of adventure. The premise sounded great. I needed to check out a historical fiction of Inuit and Vikings in North America 1000 years ago. This novel really surprised me with just how magical and great it was.

The novel was well researched and included the culture, traditions, gender roles, and especially religions of not one but two groups of people 1000 years ago. The gods of the time are included as characters with sections of the novel being from some of their perspectives. This added a very magical feeling to the novel.

‘I am no longer scared of being a woman — it doesn’t make me any less a man. I am both. I am neither. I am only myself.’ This quote sums up the amazing nature of Omat, our main character. Omat has the spirit of her father in her so she has the spirit of a warrior and a shaman. Therefore, she identifies as a boy growing up, and as she grows up she identifies as both male and female. I found this supremely fascinating, and apparently this is a phenomenon that happens sometimes in Inuit culture because of their beliefs. 

When the Inuit and Vikings meet Omat has to journey across the North American coast with the help of a viking for survival. These are the reasons that The Wolf in the Whale by Jordanna Max Brodsky is a historical fiction that I will never forget. 

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Bunny and Other Mischiefs by Rebecca Gransden Book Review

  Title: Happy Bunny and Other Mischiefs Author: Rebecca Gransden Genre: Weird Fiction/ Horror Published: 10/30/24 by the author I received a copy for review from the author.  This collection of 14 short stories that are full of imaginative scenarios. The ideas are truly unique which helps to draw you in.  Imagine taking a friend's pigeon to the vet leads to an underground cult. Imagine a sentient turducken escaping its packaging to explore the world. These are just of a couple of the outrageously weird concepts explored in this collection. A couple of the stories are written a very fever dream kind of way that makes following the plot difficult. I don't fault the experimental writing, but I personally do not enjoy the confusion they left me feeling. The rest of the stories I enjoyed. The standout stories for me were SparrowEyes, with its creepy setting and creature, and Happy Bunny, with a person in a bunny costume getting teleported to various television and movie s...

Screams from the Void Book Review

  Title: Screams from the Void Author: Anne Tibbets Genre: Science Fiction/Horror Published: May 18,2021 by Flame Tree Press I received a copy for review from Flame Tree Press through NetGalley. My Thoughts: Raina is an Ensign Mechanic on the Demeter Spaceship for the United Space Corp in the year 2231. The Demeter's crew is picking up plant samples from many different planets when they discover an unknown biological creature is on board the ship. A creature is loose and is killing off the crew, but the creature is not the only monster on board. Raina must also deal with her abusive boyfriend as well.  I really enjoyed the setting of a small enclosed ship for creating a trapped claustrophobic backdrop for the horror to unfold. I also enjoyed the organization of the story. This story was told with alternating chapters where half the story is telling the story of finding out more about the creature, where it came from, its strengths and weaknesses, and how they can possible esca...

The House of Dust by Noah Broyles

  Title: The House of Dust Author: Noah Broyles Genre: Southern Gothic/Folk Horror Published: Inkshares Oct. 5, 2021     I received a copy from NetGalley for review. Thank you to Inkshares, NetGalley, and the author.     A writer for Southern Gothic magazine travels the American South writing articles about the small towns he encounters. His latest town Three Summers, Tennessee may be hiding much more sinister secrets than the average. He uncovers a very strange past that all centers around the people that have lived in The House of Dust over the years.     This story follows multiple perspectives over several different timelines of people who have lived in this old worn down plantation house. These timelines could be hard to follow at times, but became more clear and distinct as the story went on. As a story that covers a century of residents this was not a fast read. At nearly 450 pages it is quite a time investment, but it is an inves...