Skip to main content

The Dead House by Billy O'Callaghan

Book Title: The Dead House
Author: Billy O'Callaghan
Genre: Fiction, Gothic, Horror, Ghost Story, Thriller
Goodreads

This best-selling debut by an award-winning writer is both an eerie contemporary ghost story and a dread-inducing psychological thriller. Maggie is a successful young artist who has had bad luck with men. Her last put her in the hospital and, after she’s healed physically, left her needing to get out of London to heal mentally and find a place of quiet that will restore her creative spirit. On the rugged west coast of Ireland, perched on a wild cliff side, she spies the shell of a cottage that dates back to Great Famine and decides to buy it. When work on the house is done, she invites her dealer to come for the weekend to celebrate along with a couple of women friends, one of whom will become his wife. On the boozy last night, the other friend pulls out an Ouija board. What sinister thing they summon, once invited, will never go.

Ireland is a country haunted by its past. In Billy O'Callaghan's hands, its terrible beauty becomes a force of inescapable horror that reaches far back in time, before the Famine, before Christianity, to a pagan place where nature and superstition are bound in an endless knot.
My Thoughts

Rating: 4/5 stars

Plot: The plot was a lovely combination of the modern world meeting very Gothic and historical elements. This novel brings us a ghost story with origins in the history of Ireland.

Characters: This novel is written in first person from the perspective of Micheal Simmons who is very likeable. He is a good friend that is always there to take care of Maggie through bad relationships and sticky situations. He is also somewhat a romantic as he pursues his future wife Alison. Maggie is an artist who seeks solitude after a string of bad relationships. The characters were all well fleshed out and interesting.

Setting: The setting is the number 1 most liked element for this novel. Billy O'Callaghan expertly describes the shores of western Ireland. This was a great setting for a ghost story with its rocky shores, and foggy weather. The way he described the isolation and gloominess of the old historical home was top notch.

The Writing: Billy O'Callaghan's writing was very beautiful and atmospheric. It flowed well all throughout the book.

What I didn't like: There is not much I can say I didn't like about this gorgeously written novel. It would have benefited from some more first hand spooky occurrences. Several of the haunting aspects were heard about through others so the lost some of the creep factor. However, the first hand experiences were well crafted.

Find out more about the author: Billy O'Callaghan

Find me on:
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/MindysBookJourney
Youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLd_e77IsqzY455zDEvgFUg



Comments

  1. I need to read this book! I actually got it awhile ago from Netgalley but i've fallen so behind on Netgalley books (well I have 4 left I need to read but 3 of them I should have read already, this being one of them). It sounds right up my alley! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Bunny and Other Mischiefs by Rebecca Gransden Book Review

  Title: Happy Bunny and Other Mischiefs Author: Rebecca Gransden Genre: Weird Fiction/ Horror Published: 10/30/24 by the author I received a copy for review from the author.  This collection of 14 short stories that are full of imaginative scenarios. The ideas are truly unique which helps to draw you in.  Imagine taking a friend's pigeon to the vet leads to an underground cult. Imagine a sentient turducken escaping its packaging to explore the world. These are just of a couple of the outrageously weird concepts explored in this collection. A couple of the stories are written a very fever dream kind of way that makes following the plot difficult. I don't fault the experimental writing, but I personally do not enjoy the confusion they left me feeling. The rest of the stories I enjoyed. The standout stories for me were SparrowEyes, with its creepy setting and creature, and Happy Bunny, with a person in a bunny costume getting teleported to various television and movie s...

Screams from the Void Book Review

  Title: Screams from the Void Author: Anne Tibbets Genre: Science Fiction/Horror Published: May 18,2021 by Flame Tree Press I received a copy for review from Flame Tree Press through NetGalley. My Thoughts: Raina is an Ensign Mechanic on the Demeter Spaceship for the United Space Corp in the year 2231. The Demeter's crew is picking up plant samples from many different planets when they discover an unknown biological creature is on board the ship. A creature is loose and is killing off the crew, but the creature is not the only monster on board. Raina must also deal with her abusive boyfriend as well.  I really enjoyed the setting of a small enclosed ship for creating a trapped claustrophobic backdrop for the horror to unfold. I also enjoyed the organization of the story. This story was told with alternating chapters where half the story is telling the story of finding out more about the creature, where it came from, its strengths and weaknesses, and how they can possible esca...

The House of Dust by Noah Broyles

  Title: The House of Dust Author: Noah Broyles Genre: Southern Gothic/Folk Horror Published: Inkshares Oct. 5, 2021     I received a copy from NetGalley for review. Thank you to Inkshares, NetGalley, and the author.     A writer for Southern Gothic magazine travels the American South writing articles about the small towns he encounters. His latest town Three Summers, Tennessee may be hiding much more sinister secrets than the average. He uncovers a very strange past that all centers around the people that have lived in The House of Dust over the years.     This story follows multiple perspectives over several different timelines of people who have lived in this old worn down plantation house. These timelines could be hard to follow at times, but became more clear and distinct as the story went on. As a story that covers a century of residents this was not a fast read. At nearly 450 pages it is quite a time investment, but it is an inves...